On this episode of the Bad Relationship Advice (BRA) podcast, Alyssa is joined by
Chelle Violet, a Minneapolis stripper, sexual health educator and pole dancer/instructor at the Dollhouse Pole Dance Studio.
Chelle discusses her outlook on being openly and unapologetically sex positive, fighting the patriarchy (guuurl, make that money!), placing other’s personal judgments aside, and being authentic to herself.
If the player below isn’t working, stream the episode >>here<<
STRIPPER 101 – Take a class! Do it.
Curious about trying a pole dance/fitness class but have been reluctant to give it a twirl? According to Chelle Violet, the pole community offers a supportive and empowering atmosphere to explore your limits. Chelle suggests stripping off the band-aid, pushing your comfort zone, and allowing yourself to be a beginner. The Dollhouse studio in Northeast Minneapolis offers workshops, drop-in classes and private lessons – check them out!
You can follow Chelle Violet @chelleviolet
**As mentioned in the B.R.A. podcast, thoughtfully considering your online porn options is an empowering strategy to enjoy watching something that makes you feel excited and turned on, and also not feel completely terrible about it afterward!
The vast majority of web surfers searching for a quick XXX fix often resort to easily accessible, free, mainstream porn sites that feature violent, coercive,
misogynistic material (BDSM is not considered coercive or violent if
consensual.) There are many sources (some listed below) of ethically created, pleasure-focused, consent-based, orgasm-oriented, kinky pornography that depict diverse people, bodies, abilities, genders, sexual orientations, and kinks.
WHY SHOULD I PAY FOR PORN WHEN I CAN WATCH IT FOR FREE INSTEAD?
Producers of adult films and the stars who perform in them deserve to receive payment for the pornography you consume, and adult film stars have a fundamental right to safe and legal working conditions and without being exploited.
SUGGESTED PORN SITES TO CHECK OUT:
(Non-exhaustive list, there are more! See what suits your fancy.)
- Erika Lust “…a new wave of ethical adult cinema production, challenging mass produced mainstream pornography.“
- Crash Pad Series “…dedicated to producing sexy and exciting images that reflect today’s blurred gender lines and fluid sexualities.“
- Four Chambers “…a project, an idea and an ongoing collaboration with the intention to explore the aesthetic and conceptual potential of pornography as a medium for ideas.“
- NO FAUXXX “…the oldest running “queer” porn site on the internet, and to this date the only porn site to mix alt, gay, lesbian, straight, trans, kink, bbw genres into one common site.”
- PinkLabel.TV “…Independent Erotic and Adult Films“
- Joy Bear Pictures “…Justin Santos created Joybear Pictures in 2003 because he was tired of seeing films with people having pleasure-less sex, especially women. His goal was simple. Make adult films fun.”
- Bright Desire “This site offers a new and different kind of porn – new wave, smart porn. The aim is to move beyond the old cliches, boundaries and negativity of standard, old-style pornography and to offer something fresh, inclusive and intelligent.”
- Check out more suggestions on this list created by UnBound writer, Andriana Kanaras, or this Bustle list created by writer Amanda Chatel.
PINK AND WHITE BALL – mentioned in the podcast
Attend the Pink and White Ball while supporting Planned Parenthood at the same time!
“Marquee burlesque, drag, live music, and variety entertainers of the Twin Cities and BEYOND are coming together to throw a benefit for Planned Parenthood Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota Action Fund (PPMNS).”
–> Click here to view the event on Facebook and purchase tickets
Just for fun, I dug up this photo from (now closed) Las Vegas strip club, Olympic Gardens (mentioned in the podcast episode.)
Bad Relationship Advice from Alyssa: Educate your children about sexual health by dropping them off at your local stripping establishment with a few dollars and a bagged lunch.
This is terrible advice.
Don’t do it.